Non-operating operator

All things Transport Manager related

Moderator: Ipso

Ipso

Non-operating operator

#1 Postby Ipso » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:08 am

I am TM on a one-man-band operator.
He recently disposed of his wagon and went to work, employed as a driver for another operator.
He does not want to surrender his licence as he might resume operating.
I phone monthly and confirm that he has not re-commenced.
I have a signed letter from him confirming the situation.
What fee should I charge (£100 pm ?)
What other action should I take to protect myself?

Big Burner

Re: Non-operating operator

#2 Postby Big Burner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 pm

You can't have an Operator Licence if you don't have 'access' to vehicles. A formal contract to hire a vehicle on demand is considered satisfactory. All according to GV74.
I wouldn't think it worth while for the operator, an application/advert and 5yr fee are about £800 and he should be eligible for an interim OL if he needed one.
I also cannot see why a transport manager would give up one of their four operator slots for just £100pm.

Ipso

#3 Postby Ipso » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for that.
I'll ensure a "formal agreement" and revue the situation every couple of months. I still don't feel entirely comfortable with it as, while there may be negligible work, is it "effective and continuous"? I'll put a 6-month limit on it. I've queried it with TC and will post their reply. There is not a lot of operators in my area so I have accepted this situation to fill my quota.

Big Burner

#4 Postby Big Burner » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 pm

This week's Commercial Motor has an article in it where the TC pretty much says 'no vehicle no O Licence'