Hi from Cambridge

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the forum.

Moderator: Ipso

traceyts

Hi from Cambridge

#1 Postby traceyts » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi, I started messing around with class one back in the early 70's and when work went quiet 3 years ago thought maybe external management was a good way to get off the road.
I am appearing before the Traffic Commissioner next Friday so will shortly be able to update you on my status.
Tracey

Webmaster

Re: Hi from Cambridge

#2 Postby Webmaster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Tracey's and welcome aboard.

Hope your meeting with the TC goes well. I must admit that I do not envy you at all.
It has always been a fear of mine :shock:

Good luck

traceyts

#3 Postby traceyts » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:07 am

Hi,

I met with the TC yesterday and we dealt with driver conduct and next month it is the turn of the companies and myself.
The problem is that one company employed a driver who was a friend that subsequently set up on his own.
They both worked from the same yard/office and when I started it seemed straightforward.
However I would go in every other week and then on the alternate week I would work from home.
This was fine but then we went through a spell of them swapping vehicles or doing work for each other without having a paper trail of invoicing etc which in the eyes of the TC means they had unfair use of extra vehicles.
I ended up resigning from one company, it was going to be both but the owner asked me to stay, in an effort to try and split the two.
It has taken work by both myself and a consultant to untangle them due to so many shared suppliers and service providers but I think we have now managed.
I have to wait until next moth to get the final result.

traceyts

#4 Postby traceyts » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Well, got a formal warning for the PI and then there was a check on my other operator which we passed with a couple of advisories.
I am now seriously thinking of packing it all in.
When I started I was being paid through the consultant and although he was slow paying it did trickle through.
This morning I had a call from the accountant saying that nothing had come in for almost three months now.
I have emailed trying to get an answer and told him there will be one last invoice for this month and then we are finished.
As the amount is approaching £2000 the accountant says we need to start legal action to recover the debt.
It just seems like it is a never ending battle and for what you get in return it really isn't worth it

Webmaster

#5 Postby Webmaster » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:49 pm

traceyts wrote:Well, got a formal warning for the PI and then there was a check on my other operator which we passed with a couple of advisories.
I am now seriously thinking of packing it all in.
When I started I was being paid through the consultant and although he was slow paying it did trickle through.
This morning I had a call from the accountant saying that nothing had come in for almost three months now.
I have emailed trying to get an answer and told him there will be one last invoice for this month and then we are finished.
As the amount is approaching £2000 the accountant says we need to start legal action to recover the debt.
It just seems like it is a never ending battle and for what you get in return it really isn't worth it
You just can't let them get away with this :evil:

traceyts

#6 Postby traceyts » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Well it seems that a serious chat has cleared the air, invoices have now been paid up to date and we are in discussions over getting things put onto a written contract.
Hoping that the new year means a new start.

Big Burner

#7 Postby Big Burner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Glad things are getting sorted for you.
As an external TM you should have a written contract from day one, to establish the genuine link with the Operator.

traceyts

#8 Postby traceyts » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 pm

I have a written contract and my answer now is at the initial meeting to complete an ECM report so I can establish the company's position with regard to DVSA guidelines. I also complete a check sheet along the lines of a PG13 for each vehicle so if something is badly wrong I have taken reasonable steps to cover my own rear axle.
I am slowly trying to migrate away from being TM towards being the consultant with offering audits etc as the money is definitely better.

traceyts

#9 Postby traceyts » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 pm

I have always had contracts with the operators but I made the mistake of trusting the consultant. He insisted on me invoicing through him but this procedure has almost cost me my CPC. Despite being told by a top transport barrister that he cannot continue with this system he is still trying to run it.